The Africa Elephant Award is the highest and only Scout award in the Region granted by the Africa Scout Region to adult members of the Movement. It is presented to top Scouts and Scouters in recognition of outstanding service to Scouting in Africa. The award recognizes continued support of the growth and development of the Scout Movement in the region. The award constitutes the following dimensions 1. Recognizing those that have provided exceptional service and contributed to the development of Scouting in Africa 2. Providing motivation to the awardees and inspiring others 3. Maximizing on the profile of the awardees to strengthen the profile and recognition of Scouting and to contribute to resource mobilization in the long term.
Who can Qualify for the Award
The Africa Elephant Award is awarded to; 1. Members of the Scout Movement both uniform and non-uniform from all adult sections of WOSM. 2. To non-Members who the Africa Scout Region wishes to recognize.
Criteria for Award
The award is given to Members of WOSM or other non-members in recognition of special distinguished service or support to the Scout Movement usually over an extended period. Long service only is not a criteria for the award. Applications for the award have to spell out the special nature of the service rendered by the nominee.
Who Can Apply for the Award
- The Africa Scout Committee (Except for themselves)
- National Scout Organizations for adult members from any level of the Movement who meet the Criteria for the award.
- Holders of the award may apply for persons who they believe should be recognized.
Note: Individuals cannot apply for themselves.
Procedure for the Award
- Applications are made by the above and submitted to the Africa Scout Committee anytime.
- The Africa Scout Committee appoints an Honors and Awards committee which consider applications and then make recommendations for acceptance or refusal for application to the Africa Scout Committee who make the final decision on granting the awards.
Note: A National Scout Association is advised of an award application made on behalf of one of there members if the Association is not the initiator of the application. For more information about the award please contact your respective National Scout Organization or the Africa Support Centre on firstname.lastname@example.org